From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1992 15:55:11 EST
John writes:
>> (BTW, doesn't Michigan win 1st place among the states when counting up
>> Division I college hockey programs?  I count seven.
>
>New York State also has seven Div I programs:

Yes, these two states are tied.  Massachusetts has six.  One could also point
out that the programs in NY and MI are widely spread out, but within a
one-hour drive of Boston, there are 9 DivI teams (Low, Merr, BC, BU, NU, Har,
Prov, Brown, UNH).  This is the most densely-populated area in the nation as
far as DivI hockey teams go.  I suspect that this area is also the most
densely-populated college hockey area with literally dozens of DivIII teams.

Steve Christopher referred to my earlier posting on Gonzaga being an NC$$
program.  Actually, Gonzaga is listed in the Western standings before NC$$
hockey can officially be considered to have begun, in 1947-48, so it isn't
quite correct to say Gonzaga (or USC, UCLA, etc.) once had an NC$$ DivI
hockey team.

I think there is the potential for a great turnout at Hockeyfest this year.
All of the four ECAC schools can be expected to bring a lot of people, and
with UNH making its first appearance in the Garden since, I believe, the
1983 ECACs, the Wildcats' following should be immense.  Add to that the
millions of people :-) Maine always brings, the folks from up the road at BC,
and the usually solid turnout from Providence.  Both tourneys should draw well.

- mike