From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1992 16:34:11 EST
Kathleen Olivier writes:
>Last Friday night Joe Frederick of the Northern Michigan University
>Wildcats scored 7 points in one game with 4 goals (2 shorthanded) and
>3 assists against Denver.  I heard this was a new WCHA record for the
>most points scored by a player in one game but someone else rumored
>he merely tied the existing record.  Does anyone know what the current
>WCHA record is for most points in a game?

Frederick didn't even tie the WCHA record, which is 9.  It's held by six
different players, most recently Bobby Joyce of UND in 1987.  This info was
current as of 1989.  National record is 23, but that's in 1944, "pre-modern".

>This situation also brought up an intersting thought -- has anyone
>ever seen a shorthanded hat trick?

I'm sure some people on the list have - C.J. Young, formerly of Harvard and
Team USA, scored three SHG in 1:01 on the same shift against Dartmouth over
3 years ago.  A natural, shorthanded hat trick.  I think that came in a
10-1 win in December, 1988.

- mike