From:
Dave Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:50:29 -0400
Sunday, June 24, 2001

TECH'S BRYAN PEREZ TAKEN BY NY ISLANDERS IN NHL ENTRY DRAFT
       Blaine, Minnesota, Native Is First Pick of Ninth Round

        Houghton, Mich. -- Michigan Tech left wing Bryan Perez
(Blaine, Minn.) was chosen by the New York Islanders in this past
weekend's National Hockey League Entry Draft. Perez was the first
pick of the ninth round and the 260th overall choice.
        "Bryan is going to be an excellent player," said MTU Head
Coach Mike Sertich. "I'm surprised he didn't go higher in the draft,
but that is probably because he just practiced with us last year and
wasn't able to play. He'll be a force in college hockey this winter.
I'm looking forward to seeing him develop because he really has a lot
of high-end potential."
        The 6-1, 195-pound Perez spent last year as a redshirt at
Michigan Tech. The two seasons prior to that, he was a member of the
United States Under-18 Team in Ann Arbor, Michigan.