From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 21:31:42 EST
<snip> [log in to unmask] Jpjn wrote:

<Would you also ban scholarships based on academic merit?

I wouldn't. Remember these were all the suggestions of a Minneapolis Star
Tribune
sportswriter, not mine.

> "Alcohol-related advertising should be banned from sports broadcasting.

I personally could do without beer adds which cater to a predominately male
crowd. Very seldom do you see a wine (or even hard liquor) commercial except
during holidays like Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years. Prohibitionist
thinking aside, he is saying that commercials during those prime times cater
and promote drinking beer while watching sports. I don't think he feels the
two should go together, viewing and drinking. That's hard to swallow for most
male fans — really women guzzle too.

<Again, why? Why only assaulting women? Someone convicted of assault will
<already face penalties in the legal system. If those are not sufficient,
<then that is a problem with the legal system, not with sport.

Assaulting anyone is unacceptable, I think.

I believe his conviction is that behavior on the playing field should not be
above the law. If a guy breaks the rules on the ice in a blatant intended act
of harming another player causing him serious injury, he should not only be
punishable by the league, but also by the legal system. In the minors this is
often the case, less often in the bigs.

Vicki