From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:05:48 -0400
With the recent signings of college players into the NHL, I can only see
the benefit that will result. Please hear my rationale for this, and feel
free to disagree.

For Canadian players, your choice had to be made early (16-17 yrs old). Do
I play Major Junior, or do I wait and hope to go to college. The philosophy
was, Major Junior will take you to the pros "faster" and is more like the
pro game. College is a good place to play offering you a security blanket
if hockey doesn't work out.

But in the past few years I feel that the college route is providing the
player with exactly what  they are hoping for. College is showing that
players can play in the NHL, can go directly from college to the NHL with
substantial contracts, and can get an education while they are playing
hockey.

The best part of this whole scenario is that the players are not having to
make these decisions about major junior and college hockey with two
entirely different outcomes facing them. College is now allowing players to
go the pros, but not having to "commit" to a school until they are 18-19
years old. It's amazing what two years of maturity, strength, and knowledge
can do for a young player.

I am not bashing Major Junior hockey, after all I believe (may be wrong)
that the vast majority of players drafted today are still from Major
Junior. I am just saying that college hockey may be offering to these young
men the final goal of all these young men, which is the NHL.

I don't think that you'll ever see the exodus in college hockey as you do
in college basketball, but to those players who are gifted enough to leave,
it sure leaves a lasting impression on those players coming into or
considering college hockey.

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994