From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 12:58:10 -0400
Brian Demoree wrote:

> [log in to unmask],NNTP writes:
> >Last weekend's webcast had a capacity of only 200.  Will that be the
> >same
> >from Anaheim?
>
> The people in charge of physically placing the game on the internet
> were trying to increase the capacity, but by the time I left, I still
> hadn't heard.  Did you enjoy the game?  Did it come in clearly?  Hope
> it sounded good, and keep an eye out next semester for more games.  I
> am working on getting as many games as possible on the net next
> semester.

Brian, I got the Maine semifinal fine because I tuned in before the
broadcast actually began and grabbed a feed.  Not knowing what
the capacity is, one doesn't know whether he dare switch away for
a few minutes before the game ends.  Having been a RealAudiophile
and hockey game surfer for most of this season, here are a few of
my observations of the national scene:

Schools of national interest which most need to get their games on
the Internet on a regular basis: Maine and Colorado College.

The school that's furthest ahead:  Michigan, for offering all the
home games in video.

The school that should stop trying to broadcast until they
learn to do it right:  North Dakota

The school that would get more listeners if we didn't have
to listen to that lousy 60-second promotional message from
the president every time we switch back and forth:  Mankato

A few schools that could have plenty of listeners if they'd get
their systems into sync with what everyone else is using:
Ohio State, Boston College, UNO

The school with the least professional, most absent-minded
hockey sportscaster who's still enjoyable to listen to if he'd
just give the scores once in awhile:  Notre Dame

The school whose announcers will be in the doghouse if they
skip the National Anthem before a game at Merrimack the way
they did in Worcester:  Maine

Bob
  the curmudgeonly RealAudio critic