From:
Gerald Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:50:27 EST
In a message dated 3/31/99 10:10:34 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Also, it seems to me
to be better to not have the tournament on someone's home rink, after the
flap last year over North Dakota's "home" game at Yost Arena.  You can't
prevent a "neutral" facility being more convenient for one team and its
fans, but you can make sure that it's not "home turf." >>

Funny how people always seem to bring up the 'home turf' argument.  True that
NoDak. lost when playing Michigan in their home building last year, but the
'home turf' didn't seem to help Michigan State the two years that the
regionals were in their building a few years back.  MSU lost each time, or at
least didn't make it out of 'their own' regional.

And then this year NoDak played in the West Regionals and lost again, what
does that mean?  If you want to simply draw inferences form single game
outcomes then I guess it means that NoDak isn't very good.  I personally think
NoDak had a great team this year and I was very surprised by their early exit.

As a Wolverine fan, I was ecstatic when I first heard that Yost was going to
host the West Regional.  I figured they were 'due' following the two years at
Michigan State's Munn Arena. Though truthfully, I do believe it would be more
fair to always hold the regionals at neutral locations.

Jerry Williams