Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:41:51 -0600
greenie wrote:

> If a school like University of Colorado or Colorado State were to instantly
> throw hundreds of thousands into a D1 hockey program (OK, millions) and
> within 2-3 years be accepted into the WCHA, should they not be eligible
> because they didn't go through any "growing pains?"

Sigh.  I can't recall anyone suggesting that the MAAC should have to wait as
long as the CCHA did.  I'm pretty certain that two years from now (and maybe as
early as next year), the MAAC will be integrated enough into the system that
their ratings will properly reflect their play and the intricacies of this
debate will be moot.  Should they get an auto-bid that soon?  I don't know;
talk to me later, and I'll be happy to help discuss that.  Until then, try not
to create too many rhetorical straw men in your arguments.

> >By
> >then the CCHA had dropped a few teams  and picked up the Michigans and
> >ND.  Suddenly, the CCHA became "respectable" and got an invite to the
> >NCAA via a playin game (It may have helped that St. Louis hosted the 1977
> >NCAA championship).
>
> As you say, the CCHA "suddenly" becamse respectable and got the berth --
> but not because of St. Louis. Bringing in Michigan took care of that.

And getting the facts right might help, too.  The CCHA got access to the NCAA
tournament, through the play-in game, five years before Michigan and Michigan
State joined the league.  So, it did not take the two established programs to
provide that credibility.

J. Michael Neal