Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1992 14:48:17 EST
There was a short blurb about this in the Lansing State Journal.

According to the story there, three proposals for cost-cutting in the Ferris
State Athletic Department have been submitted to the Board of Trustees
of the university.  The first proposal would save about a half million
dollars a year and drop several sports (NOT hockey).  The second proposal
would save about 850K a year and would drop hockey and several other
sports.  The third proposal would save close to a million dollars a
year and would drop hockey, baseball, and about a half dozen other
sports.

I haven't read if the athletic department there is running a big
defecit, nor have I heard who commissioned the proposals.  I don't
remember when the Board at Ferris was to act.  My impression from
the short article in the State Journal was that the Board would
definitely be accepting one of the three cost-cutting proposals.

Perhaps someone else has some more details?
Tim Newman