From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:15:23 -0500
Ed Moller (taking time out from his correspondence to Sports Illustrated)
writes:

>On Friday I wrote:
>
>> > There is a regular season trophy and the Lamoriello Cup.  The RS trophy
>> > is much less spectacular than the tourney trophy.
>>
>> I'm still confused.  According to Deron's earlier post HEA will hand out the
>> trophy this weekend at the Whit.  To my knowledge this has never been done
>> before, or else I'd have seen them do it many times at Walter Brown Arena.
>> Is this a new policy from Joe Bertagna, or did BU pass on the award as they
>> look on it as having no value?
>
>After much ranting on my part (and I hope this did not cause anyone to signoff
>from the list) over this regular season title jazz, it became readily apparent
>to me on Saturday night why there has never been an issue of an HEA regular
>season trophy.  That had to be the chintziest trophy I have ever seen.  It
>looked like Sean Matile was going to wear it over his head when he left the
>ice.  How much did Joe Bertagna put down on his expense report for that thing?
>30 bucks?  The thing was so cheap looking they already had the UNH label
>screwed
>onto the base.  I've got cereal bowls that are more ornate than that.

It looked like it weighed about 3 lbs.  You noticed that the team did not
skate around with it.  While they may have been embarrassed to, I think it
was more the thought that it is just one step along the way.

>Aside from that, congratulations to the Wildcats on a convincing weekend
>blowout
>of the Black Bears. Enjoy your trophy and fill it up with your favorite snack
>... one pound bag max.
>
>The large ice surface at Towse Rink gets the number 1 star for the two
>games.  I
>won't predict who would win, but if we see these two at the Fleet Center, the
>results should be different as the game will be much closer.

Much was made (especially by Shawn Walsh) of the size of the rink going
into these games.  In a 10-2 combined blowout, how much was that worth?  A
goal a night?  The fact is that we handed Maine two decisive losses in the
most meaningful games of the year.  Between the second and third period of
the Saturday night game, Shawn told FSNE that they just couldn't handle
UNH's defense.  Now, I will agree that thing will be tighter if we play
them in the HE final, but, to me, the most important thing is that UNH
finally got the monkey (or Bear) off their back after five straight
defeats.  And, one more thing, do people think that Walsh will outcoach
Umile?

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!!
JASON KROG IS HOBEY!!!