From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 07:22:22 -0500
------------------------------
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]> wrote in part:

> In my opinion, it is difficult to create a statistical-based
> selection criteria which does a better job than the current one
> and/or find one which successful knocks all MAAC teams down a tier
> in the standings.

Really?  We have seen several posted on Info-Hockey-L or Hockey-L.
Basically, any at least semilogical statistical-based selection
criteria that includes scores will this year push all of the MAAC
teams down to near or at the bottom.  However, I don't believe
that scores should be included because it might cause teams to
run up the score.

The simple change of changing L-16 to an RPI-based L-16 as has
been mentioned also knocks Quinnipiac et al. down enough to
eliminate them from the tourney.

I don't think that any of the MAAC teams deserve serious
consideration for the NCAA Tourney this year.  None of the results
that I have seen have proven taht they currently are more than
Div-I in name only.

On another subject:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Subject: RPI/Harvard game 2 request

> I plan to do my usual recap of game 1 of the RPI/Harvard
> quarterfinal series as well as game 3 if that game is needed.

> However I will not be attending the Saturday night game
> (I have tickets to the Billy Joel concert at the Knick
> Saturday night). I hope there's someone out there
> (Brian, are you listening?) who can do the box score
>and recap to post to the list.

Is this the same Billy Joel who caused the RPI-UNH and
Maine-Colgate games to be switched to Hartford from NYC?
;-)

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74