From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:12:38 -0500
Admittedly, I've seen fewer CCHA games and teams than
any time in the past ten seasons, but here are my random
observations on the upcoming conference awards:

ALL-CCHA (first team-second team-honorable mention)
FORWARD: My first team would certainly be Ohio State's
Hugo Boisvert (JR), Bowling Green's Dan Price (SR) and
Michigan State's Mike York (SR).  Bowling Green's Adam
Edinger (JR) heads my second line.  Others worthy of a
spot include Miami's Jason Deskins (SO), Michigan's Mike
Comrie (FR), Michigan State's Bryan Adams (SR), Northern
Michigan's pair of Buddy Smith (SR) and JP Vigier (JR) and
the Notre Dame duo of Ben Simon (JR) and Brian Urick (SR).
Personally, I would put Comrie and Deskins on my second
team.  They both have had a great season without much
support from their linemates.

DEFENSE: Michigan's Bubba Berenzweig (SR) leads the
way and also gets my nod for Best Offensive Defenseman.
Best Defensive Defenseman would seemingly go to a member
of the best D in the nation, Michigan State.  Most favor Mike
Weaver (JR) among that crew.  Personally, I think that Jeff
Kozakowski (SR) deserves some All-CCHA recognition for
a solid all-around season.  Other strong All-CCHA contenders
include Bowling Green's Mike Jones (JR), Notre Dame's
Benoit Cotnoir (SR) and a trio of outstanding sophomores,
Andre Signoretti of Ohio State and Dave Huntzicker and Mike
Van Ryn from Michigan.

GOALTENDER: Three sophomores here as well.  Michigan
State's Joe Blackburn on top followed by Jeff Maund of Ohio
State and Vince Owen of Ferris State.  Blackburn might be
getting more Hobey attention if it weren't for MSU's great team
defense and the outstanding numbers his backup, Mike Gresl,
has posted.  Blackburn has looked better to me than his
predecessor, Chad Alban.

ALL-ROOKIE (first team)
Michigan sports the three obvious choices in forward Mike
Comrie, defenseman Jeff Jillson and goaltender Josh Blackburn.
(No relation to MSU's Joe Blackburn.)  IMO, Comrie is the
most exciting player in the conference and is a shoo-in for
Rookie of the Year.  Jillson is second in freshman scoring
behind Comrie.  Other outstanding rookies include Northern
Michigan's Sean Connolly (D) and Chad Theuer (F) and Notre
Dame's David Inman (F).  Michigan State has an excellent
freshman class, led by Adam Hall (F) and Andrew Hutchinson
(D).  Bowling Green also has a couple frosh of note.

PLAYER OF THE YEAR
York.  His primary competition is Joe Blackburn, who will be
eliminated in the sense that each team is allowed only one
nominee.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Comrie.  Put him with the talent UM had for most of the 1990s
and he posts Morrison numbers.

BEST OFFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
Berenzweig.  A nod to Jones, but he's not Berenzweig.

BEST DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN
A have no bloody idea.  It's difficult not to look simply at the
Spartans, but I also favor Signoretti in this category.

BEST DEFENSIVE FORWARD
Usually goes to one of the bigger names.  I wouldn't argue
with York walking away with this as well.  Michigan's Bobby
Hayes had a solid defensive season, but not enough to take
the prize, IMO.

COACH OF THE YEAR
Michigan State's Ron Mason.  It's difficult enough to repeat,
but MSU basically ran away with it.  Their numbers are freakin'
ridiculous.  They gave up 40 goals in 30 games.  And, they
gave up 9 ppg's while scoring 11 shg's.  That's +2 over a 30
game season while down a man.

Comments are appreciated.  Thanks...

John Haeussler