From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:28:22 -0500
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> Let's take a look at the Hockey East playoff picture with one week to go.
>
> 5. Boston University 8-12-3 19 pts - BU looks to be in good position to
> finish #4 and set up a very intriguing matchup with Providence in the HE
> quarterfinals.  The Terriers have a tough gave vs. BC to close out the
> season, but throw out the records when those two rivals meet.
> 6. The Umass teams currently sit tied for sixth.  Amherst at 7-14-2 - 16
> pts has been a surprise this year, as many expected them to finish at the
> bottom of the league, but Joe Mallen is taking his team back to the
> playoffs this year.  Amherst will play a critical positioning game at
> Merrimack on Friday.  A win and they could possibly be as high as #6, a
> loss and they could be the #8 seed.   Lowell is 8-15 16pts and has one game
> remaining at Northeastern.  A win and Lowell will be the #6 seed if
> Merrimack loses at least one game.

UMass Amherst cannot finish 6th -- they are three points behind BU with one
game left.  Same with Lowell.

BU cannot finish lower than 6th and then only if Merrimack overtakes them
for 5th.

> If Amherst and Lowell both lose, Lowell
> will win the tiebreaker vs. Amherst on basis of head-to-head record.
> 8.     Merrimack  7-14-1 15 pts - Merrimack has the greatest amount of
> mobility left.  I'm not sure how the tiebreakers work when teams split the
> season series, but two Merrimack wins (and the right tiebreaker) and they
> can tie BU for the #5 seed.

Right, if Merrimack defeats UMass Amherst and BC, and BU loses to BC, then
BU and Merrimack will be tied with 19 points for 5th.  First tiebreaker,
head to head, is even (1-1-1).  Second tiebreaker is league wins which
would go to Merrimack, 9-14-1 vs 8-13-3.

> But the Warriors have not yet clinched a
> playoff spot, but all they need is 1 point in their final two games vs.
> Amherst and Boston College to clinch because they swept Northeastern 3-0
> this season.  Merrimack however loses head-to-head vs. both Lowell and
> Amherst, so if all three teams end up with 16 points Merrimack will be the
> #8 seed.  A win over Amerhest will assure Merrimack at least a #7 seed.

All three teams cannot end up with 16 because Merrimack is one point behind
Lowell and UMA, and Merrimack plays UMA Friday.  If Merrimack defeats UMA,
MC will finish ahead of UMA.  However all three could end up with 17
points, if MC-UMA is a tie, Lowell-NU is a tie, and MC ties BC.  Then
Lowell would finish 6th, UMA 7th, and MC 8th.

It is quite odd, but at game time Friday night, Merrimack will be 27 hours
from finishing as high as 5th or missing the playoffs altogether and
finishing 9th (well, the latter would happen if MC loses both and NU
defeats Lowell Fri and PC on Sun afternoon, so 46 hours).  If Merrimack
defeats UMA on Friday and BC defeats BU the same night, then MC controls
its own destiny with regard to 5th since it visits BC Saturday night (and
they won 5-2 this past Friday against the Eagles).

5th is obviously a desirable spot for Merrimack, since it would mean a trip
to Providence.  PC won the season series 2-1, but the two PC wins came in
overtime down in Rhode Island.

BTW, the HE quarterfinal best of three schedule is set.  #1/2 Maine and #3
BC will host from Thur March 11 through Sat March 13.  #1/2 UNH and #4 PC
will host from Fri March 12 through Sun March 14.  Third games are of
course only if necessary, should each team win one of the first two games
(sudden death OT in all games).  Fox Sports New England has the exclusive
tv rights for the playoffs and is scheduled to air games all four nights
from March 11-14 -- March 14 if necessary.  Which games they will show will
probably be decided next week once the matchups are known.