From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 16:21:13 -0500
I have to agree with the dissenters on this one.  This rumor makes no
sense.  Union was invited to join the ECAC when Army opted out after it
was unable to mount a consistently competitive team.  As I remember, Union
wasn't chomping at the bit to join up, but saw the benefits that ECAC
membership would bring.

> Removing one ECAC team and adding two upsets the balance in the league.  It
> also leaves RPI (or at least somebody) without a travel partner.  If Union
> were to drop out, I'd have an easier time believing that Niagara would join,
> and travel partners would be re-aligned.  And with the Ivies 28(?)-game limit,
> a 13-team league would even further restrict how many non-league games they
> would play.  I just don't see this happening.

Pre-Union, RPI's travel partner was Vermont, which made for demanding
weekend series, not to mention long distance home and homes for the
Engineers and the Catamounts (please, no guffaws from the Westerners on
this.)

But Quinnipiac, and UCONN for memberships?  There is no history here, no
rivalries, in fact no games between them and the ECAC contingent.  I don't
see anything about either school which would enamor themselves to the ECAC
schools.  But I still think Niagara has some appeal to the ECAC, and would
certainly be the prime target for membership should Union drop down.

And I also agree, who said Union will drop down?  My impression of Union's
administration is that they are very happy with the status quo.  That may
not be what the fans or students want, but that seems to be what the
President feels is best for Union as a institution of higher learning.
Brian Morris                 RPI Engineers--Third at Best