From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:59:35 -0500
Well, I've seen every HockeyEast rink except for Alfond and I must say that
those BU fans opposing the new rink have a legitimate gripe. They look at
venues like Tsongas Arena and Conte Forum and wonder if a 6000+ arena is
really worth it. I've been to Walter Brown quite a few times and the cozy,
raucous atmosphere will be hard to duplicate in a bigger rink. But, I think
the BU hockey program has the fan base to make a larger rink work quite
well. Look what UNH has done with its new rink.

It is true that Conte is a failure as far as hockey goes. I've seen that
place with 4000 fans and its look empty. Also, a lot of the seats (including
the student section) are too far from the ice and the site lines in the
lower seats aren't that hot. The BC program hasn't been strong enough to
generate the needed fan base to make that venue work but they are certainly
going in the right direction. When you're a ice hockey program in a town
with so much going on, its hard to draw big numbers when the fans have so
many competing attractions.

The Tsongas Arena is a far better arena for hockey, maybe the best in
HockeyEast. Lowell would probably be doing much better there if they had the
same program they had in the mid 90's and consequently they might not have
been screwed so badly and shipped west come tourney time. But, the program
has faltered the last few years, failing to maintain its standing among the
league's elite (or maybe the "best of the rest (after BU)"  may be a more
appropriate reference). So, with a middle-of-the-pack team, its very hard
for Lowell to get the house rocking and that may be the case for some time.
Still, I don't think too many people miss the Tully Forum excpet in a
strictly nostalgic sense. I don't think the team or the fans are looking for
the program to schedule one or two games at the old rink for old times sake.

I must add that the worst BU can do is to repeat the "Schneider Arena"
fiasco. It is true that I've only attended one game there so my opinion is
barely qualified. I also may weigh too heavily on sight lines from the
corners. But, if that was one of the important criteria, Schneider would
fail miserably. Add to that a press box at center ice that obstructs nearly
50% of the ice from other center ice seats and I begin to wonder what the
designers were paid. The corner seats along the side don't even turn to face
the rink as they get closer to the end seats. There is probably seat totals
for 30%
of capacity that I would turn down if I could watch the game on T.V. ...
even if the T.V. was in a van in the arena parking lot.