From:
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:31:31 -0800
---John Whelan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Adam writes:
>
> > PWR is what is used to pick the teams for the tournament ... and it's
the only
> > thing used.
>
> Actually, Jason did make the valid point later in his post that the
> committee selects which bubble teams are in and out on the basis of
> individual pairwise comparisons rather than the total PWR.

This is what I was driving at.  When I looked at the USCHO verbiage and
recalled this technicality, I thought the USCHO verbiage could be revised.

I was mistaken in referencing RPI so heavily when I made the comment that I
did.

As I have reflected on what I have done during the past couple years as we
approach tournament time, I think really I have referenced the page John
mentioned earlier at http://www.slack.net/~whelan/cgi-bin/tbrw.cgi?pairwise
so I must have been on more of a pairwise bent than I recalled.

But in the name of there are no such things as stupid questions... er,
stupid comments... I thought I would throw my comment out there to make sure
I was properly re-educated before trying to talk professionally about this
stuff.

My thanks to Lee for his excellent personal response on this topic and to John
for defending the gist of the correct portions of what I was saying.

> So the most accurate way to describe the situation would be to say
> that pairwise *comparisons* are used to pick the tournament field, and
> RPI is *only* used to resolve rock-scissors-paper (can we coin "RSP"
> as yet another acronym?)  ties which cannot be broken by individual
> comparisons.
>                                           John Whelan, Cornell '91
>                                      http://www.amurgsval.org/joe/

       |__   __| |  __  |  Jason Patton        http://www.gojp.com/jp/
 ____     | |    | |__| |      Following College Hockey Since 1991
|____|    | |    |  ____|  Boston U. 1991-1995     Princeton 1995-1998
        __| |    | |       1995 NCAA Champions     1998 ECAC Champions
       |____|    |_|        MAAC Hockey League Inaugural Season 1998-

MAAC Game of the Week: http://www.broadcast.com/sports/maac/hockey/