From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:42:44 -0500
> I've wanted to post this for awhile, and Bob Griebel's excellent article on
> the history of the WCHA and CCHA has inspired me.
I agree, Bob did a marvelous job.

I would add, in regards the Michigan situation:
When Michigan moved to Fielding Yost Ice Arena (73-74?), which had been an
indoor track and basketball field house, the view was that things would
pick up for the program.  Yost had a great new ice surface, and while it
took several years to develop a "hockey" feeling, it was a big boost.

However the best change was getting a new coach, whose name alludes me.
He was only there for 3-4 years, but he made Michigan Hockey wonderful.
He brought in great players like the classic playmaker Dave Debol
(basically the prototype of Steph Acres (NU)) and the speedy winger Pat
Hughes.  The pinnacle was the 1977 NC$$ final at Detroit's Olympia, which
the Badgers won in overtime.  A magnificent match, but tense!  After that
coach left, his assistant took over and program died (sound familiar).  As
Bob pointed out, it was almost a club program, and the word was that AD
Canham wanted Red to come in and revive the team, or drop it altogether.

> I've followed the WCHA since the early 70's and have always thought it to
> the superior league in the country. At times in the 80's I've even thought
I'll agree, getting to watch John McInnes's Michigan Tech, Herb Brooks'
Minnesota and Badger Bob Johnson's Wisconsin was a treat and an education
in the finer and differing points of ice hockey.

When Michigan "joined the bus league", many of us at Yost were not happy.
The team was going nowhere and who cared about the opposition.  Michigan
State was beginning their rise to fame, fortune and everything that goes
with it ...

Having now spent some years with Eastern hockey, I have grown to enjoy and
respect just as many teams.  New Hampshire, St. Lawrence and Maine are
just three great programs I happen to like a lot.

To me the best part of Hockey-L has been that you get an inside feel for
many other teams, and when you get a chance to watch them - wow, it can be
a lot of fun because you have an appreciation for them.

I can see why many people want the MAAC to "prove themselves" with games
against "real opponents."  I still look forward to seeing them in the big
dance, as soon as they are ready.

thanks Bob G - great history!

/
 good shooting