From:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:06:06 -0600
> > The Pairwise Ranking is the ranking system used by the NCAA Selection
> > Committee to determine participants for the NCAA Division I men's hockey
> > tournament.
> >

> Hmmmm... is this technically correct?  I remember sitting in Lake Placid
> last year after Princeton won the tournament, and I essentially used RPI to
> figure out who was going to make the tournament and who was not (just like I
> have done for the past 4 years).  And I know I was able to figure out who
> was going to be in the tournament before PWR was published on a widespread
> basis.

Jason, Jason, Jason ... 2 years of being around me (not to mention the
information campaign on hockey-l the last 3 years) and this did not rub off on
you.  Of all people, I am shocked and dismayed.

PWR is what is used to pick the teams for the tournament ... and it's the only
thing used.  RPI is part of PWR, and usually pretty close.

Read the FAQ at USCHO if you want to know ... and also to stop the acronym-fest.

AW