From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:05:02 -0600
Dick

To get back to your roundball reference and the MAAC

The non conference schedule of roundbal teams generally do include
nationally ranked teams.  Most of them are blow outs while "big" teams
get set for their conference schedule.  The exception seems to be
Princeton.  They seem to do well against the "big boys".  That is why
Princeton gets a seeding higher than 14.  If the Patriot league champion
(George Mason this year) had played Duke, Maryland, UConn, etc and did
well, then they'd deserve a higher seed than what they're going to get.

Now for an idea for next season, because this season's post season is set
in stone.

A long time ago, in the days of a 4 team NCAA tourny, the CCHA got no
respect.  Finally, the NCAA relented and had the CCHA champion play the
WCHA runner up for the 2nd west seed.  I don't think the CCHA won any of
those (maybe one??), but the point is they had a shot at the big dance.

Since we have a week off next year between the regionals and the
nationals, can't we have a play-in between the bottom PWR team that made
the tourny and the MAAC champion? Say 2 out of 3 at the non-MAAC school?

The NC$$ uses playins for the baseball tournament and used to use them
for the roundball tourny.  It would not hurt to try until the MAAC
becomes more established and can get an auto bid outright.

Joe LaCour
Clarkson '77
"Still waiting after all these years"

PS Don't forget that BU needed a playin (against PC) to get to the '78
tournament.  WHOLLY unjustified, IMHO <G>.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]