Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:03:04 -0600
Steven Bartley wrote:

> I question some of the leadership on this team compared to other
> years, it seems no one cares like they have in the past 5-6 years.  I said
> before that maybe 2 out of 3 national championships may have killed some
> intensity and desire on this team.

From what I hear talking to the Michigan fans in the family, I think my call at
the start of the season was the right one.  The player from last year's team that
the Wolverines miss the most isn't Turco, as Blackburn seems to be quite capable.
Even though scoring has been a problem, it isn't Muckalt, either.  I don't think
that the team is any more vulnerable to complacency than it was last year, when
Muckalt seemed on the verge of going through the motions towards the end of the
regular season.  Matt Herr is the player that seems to have been irreplaceable.
While I'm too far away to know if Bubba Berenzweig is any good as a captain, he's
facing a pretty high standard in that role.  Maybe Berenzweig just doesn't have
ears large enough for the team to hold onto when he tries to carry them on his
back.

J. Michael Neal