From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:47:19 -0500
RE: greenie's post (partially) on Boston College --

>seemed to roar out of the gate this year, holding onto
>top 5 (or so) ranking for quite a while. Of late it seems they've really
>been slipping rapidly from the top spot, with losses and ties to mediocre
>teams.

As to BC, they've also lost TWICE to the only remaining legitimate
contender for the nation's # 1 ranking, the University of Maine.

BC should be grateful that HE made the initial round of its conference
post-season a three-game series at the home of the higher seed.  BC
certainly could lose a one-game match to anyone else in HE (except for
possibly Mass-Amherst).  It seems by the final game of any two-game series,
Jerry York, his coaches and players finally figure out their opponents, and
likely get a bit more disciplined in their play.

If it were not a best-of-three match in the first round, BC might certainly
repeat their Beanpot performance and work their way out of the HE
post-season in a one-game draw.  Is it possible that if BC does not run the
table in all its remaining regular-season games, and into the Fleet Center
for at least the HE final, they may play themselves out of this year's
Round of 12 ?

What's even more amusing is that there seems a possibility that BC could be
matched against BU in the first round of the HE post-season.

Notes on BC's play - after seeing the game at Orono:

I sense a bit of frustration sometimes in BC's play; when they lose their
edge, it is tough for them to play smart to hold victory or come back from
being behind.  Bad trend as the post-season approaches...

If the other side can stop the Gionta line, BC's next lines are not that
deep; then they're vulnerable.  Your side, of course, must have some
scorers of its own, and be prepared for contact.

HINT to shooters of BC's opponents:  go high on Clemmensen's stick side, or
wait to see him drop on his ass and flail around.

I'll limit my gloating about this past weekend's result at Orono -- I was
quite satisfied with having been there in person on Saturday evening.
While I could never duplicate my efforts from my student days to sit behind
the opponent's bench, it's almost as satisfying to sit behind visiting BC
supporters and observe their disappointment (and of course, attempt to
enhance their feelings of disappointment).  Nice to see the some BC fans
turning on their own goalie by the end of the game.

While BC sends its older supporters to Maine and has them track face-offs
won by BC players, I'm still trying to find out if anyone knows how many
minutes Bubba Berenzweig played in the NC$$ final last year...

(What is BC going to do with that data, really, at this point in the
season:  If York doesn't yet know who his #1 and #2 men on the draw are at
three-quarters the way in, he ought to use a coin flip -- not an NFL coin
flip, though.)

while waiting for my Anaheim tickets to arrive...

                     The Northport Village Corporation --
             government is best which is closest to the people