From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:21:31 -0500
>I agree with Jason that it is a good idea to get the MAAC involved in the
>big dance soon.  They deserve the chance to show what they can do.  I know
>all the schools that should be in the tournament will be there, so why not
>get them going?

I disagree. Before the MAAC gets an automatic bid "to show what they can
do", I think they better schedule some games against ECAC and Hockey East
opponents first.

>I disagree that the leagues shouldn't get two automatic bids.  The regular
>season titleholders, to me, are the most deserving.  They put up the
>numbers over the long haul.  The playoff champion should also get the nod,
>because obviously they're the hot team.  Two auto bids makes sense.

With the tournament limited to 12 teams for now, the inclusion of MAAC
teams seems unrealistic.

>With the NC$$ vote against going to a 16 team tourney, I wonder if college
>ice hockey might not be better off with an NIT affair for the national
>title?  Lots of sports, like women's ice hockey, play within the rules of
>the NC$$, but put on their own national title tourney.  It is a nightmare
>to put that on, but with the NC$$ it seems to also be a nightmare, and
>what exactly do they do, besides take a cut off the top of the profits,
>before there profits are made?  I heard a hint of the idea mentioned on
>the Fox broadcast Friday evening, and liked it.

Who, may I ask, is going to foot the bill if hockey goes to a non-NCAA
sponsored tournament?  The NCAA is a joke in a lot of ways, but they do
have a lot of money (hence the NC$$ moniker).  It would not be worth the
effort just so a couple of MAAC teams could participate.  As I said up top,
let them upgrade their schedules first, win some games and then they will
deserve to get in.

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
GO UNH BLUE!!!
JASON KROG FOR HOBEY!!!