From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 08:59:35 -0500
I agree with Jason that it is a good idea to get the MAAC involved in the
big dance soon.  They deserve the chance to show what they can do.  I know
all the schools that should be in the tournament will be there, so why not
get them going?

I disagree that the leagues shouldn't get two automatic bids.  The regular
season titleholders, to me, are the most deserving.  They put up the
numbers over the long haul.  The playoff champion should also get the nod,
because obviously they're the hot team.  Two auto bids makes sense.

With the NC$$ vote against going to a 16 team tourney, I wonder if college
ice hockey might not be better off with an NIT affair for the national
title?  Lots of sports, like women's ice hockey, play within the rules of
the NC$$, but put on their own national title tourney.  It is a nightmare
to put that on, but with the NC$$ it seems to also be a nightmare, and
what exactly do they do, besides take a cut off the top of the profits,
before there profits are made?  I heard a hint of the idea mentioned on
the Fox broadcast Friday evening, and liked it.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf