From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 12:07:45 EST
ejburton@the quest.net wrote:

<snip>
<BS in college hockey
<whacking players across the head, shoulders and legs
<sticks cracking on the ice

Not sure I agree that this kind of intimidation doesn't go on in the NHL?
They're just more skilled at it. I'm fascinated though by these acts of STICK
intimidation. You can't find one in a hockey instruction manual. There are at
least 9 types of passing techniques, 9 ways to stick handle around another
player, 5 ways to control the puck between your skates, 8 ways to deke the
goaltender, and 6 ways to stick check. No where in any instruction book that
I've ever seen is any type of  ASSERTIVE, INTENT TO HARASS, stick work
mentioned, except of course in the penalty section. Breaking the rules must be
an acquired skill, an osmosis thing. Or, do they teach that in college hockey
101?
For those of you who don't watch MTV, Pontiac's new MTV spot now airing
suggests that you just aren't living without breaking the rules and standing
out.

That fits our national mind set, no?

Vicki Price
Pedigree: California Institute of the Arts- BFA
          Hamline University- MFA
violentcontact.net
Concussion Free Zone