From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 11:59:06 -0500
If I were a Union College hockey fan, I'd be hopping mad
right now.
For those not familiar with the geography, Troy, NY (home of RPI)
and Albany are located on the Hudson River. Schenectady (home of
Union College) lies on the Mohawk River.
It's about 10-15 miles from Troy to Schenectady, 8-10 miles
from Schenectady to Albany and maybe 3-5
miles from Troy to Albany. Each city has its own newspaper
but the Albany Times-Union is, by far, the one with the widest
circulation. By and large, this is one metropolitan area and,
with the inclusion of 2 Division 1 college hockey teams, should
be a hotbed for college hockey. Albany has hosted the NCAA
eastern regionals in alternating years in the recent past and
has hosted the Phrozen Four once and will again next year.

Yet, when I opened the sports section of the Albany Times-Useless
this morning, there was a feature story of RPI getting
hammered (once again) in Potsdam. I searched the section with a
magnifying glass and found (in 2 point font) in the hockey standings
section, a note about St. Lawrence defeating Union.
There was no recap of the game and, if I hadn't had my reading glasses
on, I wouldn't have even known Union played last night.

I know Union is having a tough year. And it shouldn't bother me
being an avid RPI fan (yes, I know I hide it well). But I'm also
a college hockey fan and it frankly ticks me off when an area
has the potential of being one of the centers of Division 1 hockey in
the east and blows the chance. Perhaps this is what the ECAC sees
when it weighs the bids of Albany and Lake Placid to host the ECAC
tournament. Albany offers hotel space, a large arena and easy
accessibility. Lake Placid shows that it cares and virtually
turns the town into Hockeytown, USA during the ECAC's.

The ECAC knows and appreciates the difference. It won't be long
before the NC$$ notices also and determines that Albany is a hockey
town only when one or more teams are winning. Once that happens,
we'll never see big time college hockey here again. The Albany
Chamber of Commerce should take note. If you want the Pepsi-bocker
to make money, you need to use your influence with the local media to
make it an attractive venue. The Times Union would be a good place
to start.

End of vent.
Signed: one frustrated hockey fan whose town has a chance at the brass
      ring but is letting it slip away.

Mark Lewin
RPI '69