From:
Joshua Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joshua Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:30:21 -0500
I think I can answer this one pretty well for Cornell, at least for the
last few years...

Two years ago, it was Vermont goaltender Tim Thomas, who used to get so
angry at the crowd that he, on separate occasions, gave us the finger, and
broke his stick over the crossbar in anger.  Of course, these displays were
so entertaining that I don't know if we really disliked him so much as
looked forward to his visits.

Last year, it was RPI's Matt Garver, who was so disturbed by some comments
about his height (or lack thereof) that at the end of last year's game at
Lynah, he made some obscene gestures involving his stick.  Had he not
transferred to DIII RIT for his senior year, Garver would've certainly come
to Lynah as one of the most disliked players, in a tie with...

Defenseman Willie Mitchell of Clarkson, who put quite a scare into the
visiting fans at Cheel Arena last year when, at the beginning of a stoppage
in play, he 'accidentally' flipped the puck into the Cornell bench, beaning
head coach Mike Schafer and knocking him unconscious for a little while.
(And if you're going to tell me that such a highly touted recruit can't
tell where the puck is going to go when he flips it, then I'm going to tell
you that you're wrong.)  I think we'll have a nice reception prepared for
him when the Knights visit Lynah in a few weeks.  :-)

-Josh Herman
Cornell '99