From:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joseph M LaCour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:12:22 -0600
Adam and the list...

As one who watched college hockey during the no mask - mask era, I was
amazed at the lack of respect that the players showed to the opponent's
head once the mask went into place.  It seemed that the year before the
sticks were down when the players went near the boards and the next year
the sticks were in the face.

Now, though, it may be tough to get rid of the facemask.  All the players
have played with one since they've started playing and the "high stick
fear" (for lack of a better term) has not been instilled in them since
day 1.  I have a feeling that if colleges went to a 1/2 shield, we'd see
a rash of cuts for the first few months as players suddenly realize that
the head can bleed if hit with a stick.  That would be counter productive
to the no-mask contingent (and very costly in terms of medical bills)
that the presidents/AD's would quickly put the mask back in (on?).

2 cents from MD
Joe

PS Will be at the BU-PC game Saturday night.  Look forward to seeing
anyone there.
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]