From:
David W Hatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 13:25:57 -0500
From Greg Berge:
After North Dakota's NCAA quarterfinal victory over Cornell in Grand Rapids,
*both* teams received a standing ovation from the Cornell contigent.  I
assure you, I have never seen an opposing crowd extend the same courtesy to
us, and indeed I have rarely seen any losing crowd in any sport extend that
courtesy to the opponent.

I can't say I've seen this in hockey, but I was at the NBA semi-final game (82)
where Phily beat the Celts & the whole crowd (including me) chanted "Beat LA!
Beat LA!"  Which of course, they didn't do (...until they faced them again in
83).  I recall reading stories about Phily players being quite surprised that
such a devout Celtic crowd would "root" for the team that just knocked them out
of the playoffs, particularly with the rivalry the 2 teams had.  I guess if we
couldn't beat LA, the next best thing was for Phily to do it!

Dave Hatfield
UML'86