From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 23:38:27 -0500
Even though helmets were mandatory after 79, Gil Stein
>made an exception to that in a 92 waiver for those who signed it... no helmet.
>That ruling was quickly changed. According to Chris Broadhurst, Maple Leafs
>trainer, unlike football hockey players still get away with wearing
>uncertified helmets.
I thought this was only as long as the grandfather rule is in effect...Like
Craig McTavish was the last helmetless player, and players like Gretzky and
Messier who have been around since before the rule can wear the eggsehll
helmets, but the rest now wear the standardized version.

>So, the question in regard to helmets is much stickier
>than what appears on the surface. The question is which helmet should be
>forever!? According to trainers in the NHL, the players tell the equipment
>mangagers what to do! I believe it has to do with hairdos!

I know Gretzky and Messier tell them to get their regular eggshell helmets,
but I haven't seen any recent/young players wear anything but the standard
helmet (if I'm wrong please tell me..I'm not exactly a big expert here, but
from what I've seen this is what I've found). And that last statement is
plain absurd, it's like saying players choose their team because of its
uniforms. You're generalizing way too much.

>In college hockey though helmets have to be certified, wear time... means
>breakdown time. That's hardly monitered. Have you seen the inside of a helmet
>lately...if it's blackened that's mold for sure! Yes, I know a little mold is
>good for the immunity! Ultra head protection is not being accomplished by
>helmets. They're still a band-aid when it comes to the weight x speed x
>impact!

In every sport there will be injuries. In football people still break and
bruise ribs, dislocate shoulders, suffer concussions, etc. even with all the
padding they wear. In basketball people tear ACL's alot, yet knee braces
aren't mandatory. The players know the risks they're taking no matter what
sport they play. There's a fine line between informing them of the latest
information or protecting them from themselves and over regulation and
hounding them with useless info.

>This should make those, HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND SORT OF LOVE
>FIGHTING guys happy!

Hey a fight makes a good spectacle. I'm still pissed I was out of town for
UNO's first true mano y mano fight. :-) And no, I don't goto UNO games just
on the off chance of seeing a fight. It's the off chance of seeing a win! I
think of fights like a penalty shot, they're cool to see once in a while,
but not all the time. (For the record, UNO is now 0-3 on penalty shots in
their 2 year history: their opponents are 0-1)
===============================
      Ben Flickinger
E-Mail:    [log in to unmask]
(Stanley Cup Champion) Detroit Red Wings Fan for Life
Proud resident of Bugaha(Omaha)-Home of the 1st Jim Rome World Tour Stop.
U!N!0! U!N!O!
Everyone can have a bad century or two. Cubbies all the way in 1999.
QOTW: "Every day I set a new record for consecutive days that I've lived."
(Anonymous)