From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 22:14:13 EST
On Feb 9, 1999 at 8:47AM Randy May wrote:

<snip>
>Helmets are forever, so is fighting. Let's talk about HOCKEY now.

RE:Helmets-If you take a look inside a player's helmet you'll find, more than
likely, a foam liner that has been eroded by sweat. It looks like peanut
brittle with about as much elasticity and schock value as a Jofa! The worst
helmet made! It's been said that some guys might as well "wear baggies over
their heads" or "dixie cups."  Brian Burke said, "the number one flaw in the
system is helmets." The players say, if it looks good they'll wear it! Forget,
CSA safety standards. Even though helmets were mandatory after 79, Gil Stein
made an exception to that in a 92 waiver for those who signed it... no helmet.
That ruling was quickly changed. According to Chris Broadhurst, Maple Leafs
trainer, unlike football hockey players still get away with wearing
uncertified helmets. So, the question in regard to helmets is much stickier
than what appears on the surface. The question is which helmet should be
forever!? According to trainers in the NHL, the players tell the equipment
mangagers what to do! I believe it has to do with hairdos!
In college hockey though helmets have to be certified, wear time... means
breakdown time. That's hardly monitered. Have you seen the inside of a helmet
lately...if it's blackened that's mold for sure! Yes, I know a little mold is
good for the immunity! Ultra head protection is not being accomplished by
helmets. They're still a band-aid when it comes to the weight x speed x
impact!

RE: Fighting-This is a quote from "Tuff Guy" magazine, dedicated to enforcers.
"Those guys in the NHL are a bunch of hypocrites. They endorse fighting and
build marketing campaigns around the tough side of the sport, but when it
comes to year end awards, what do we get!? Leading scorer! MVP? Rookie of the
year!? The Lady Byng Trophy for the most sportsmanslike player? With the help
of fight guru, Joe Lozito, we've come up with three catagories: Fight of year,
Rookie of the year and fighter of the year."

This should make those, HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND SORT OF LOVE
FIGHTING guys happy!

RE: Let's talk about HOCKEY now!

I thought we were!

Vicki Price