From:
Will Anzenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Will Anzenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:37:25 -1000

> Anyway, FoxSports New England was the prime (although far from only) offender.
> Throughout the pregame and the game itself the announcers continuously referred
> to the game as a "battle for first place in Hockey East and probably the nation
> as well." I also heard at least two radio stations (one NH, one Vt) refer to the
> game as a fight for "first place in the nation." I'm a little unsure as to how a
> game between the #2 and #3 teams becomes a battle for the #1 spot when it is
> already known at game time that the current #1 team has swept its weekend
> series. (I notice the votes for #1 in the USCHO poll remain 27 for NoDak and 3
> for Maine; they didn't pick up a single first place vote.)>>

It is called Marketing. TV stations do it all over the place. It
pleasess all the homers that tune into the game.  Happens outside of
college hockey.  As the polls indicate NoDak is #1 and they are
not losing people's interest.  If Fox Sports wants to be *liberal*
with their #1 tags, so be it, that will all be decided in Anaheim.

Will