From:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:48:19 -0500
On Tuesday, February 9, 1999, Steven Rockey wrote:

> Doiron would call 2 minutes roughing and 10 minutes misconduct for each of
> these "fights".  He could have called some of them 4 minutes for double
> roughing and he could have called the worst of them 5 minutes fighting but
> 2 & 10 works for me and cooled down the combatants.  If he had not called
> all the roughing I am sure the game would have gotten out of control.
>
> In terms of the non roughing penalties everything he called that I saw
> should have been called.  Some things were out of my sight but based on
> what I saw he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I agree with you that he called a good game. But I disagree with his
automatic misconducts on coincident roughings. A coach could then send goons
out to tussle with the opponent's stars or snipers, taking them out for a
significant part of the game. This worked a bit (?) to Cornell's advantage,
whether planned or not, since both Halpern and Apps spent 12 minutes cooling
their heels.

Pat Carr
Cornell '96