From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:50:14 -0500
Deron Treadwell makes some excellent points about Maine's transgressions
and subsequent punishment.  But he should reread the post that began this
thread before he accuses UNH of not being able to "let it go."  Mr.
Doucette, a Maine fan, was the first to yell "coverup", referring to Coach
Umile, and Vicki Price, another Maine fan, is the one who assumes that
other schools cheat like Maine did. (And Vicki, I like those four letter
words!)/

Like Deron, "I have said it before and will say it again".  My problem with
Maine is that the guy who was at the helm when all the violations occurred
that led to the sanctions is still there.  Yes UMaine paid the price (a 2nd
year's suspension) for not firing him but I still say their decision shows
that the school falls short ethically.  He should have been gone and until
he is, I cannot respect either the program or the school.

And one last thing, which I had almost forgotten about.  Last year when the
Boston Globe ran an article about the problems at Maine, I was told by
several Maine supporters, including I think Deron, that the University
would have a formal response.  Since the Globe runs an Ombudsmen column
every Monday, I assumed that I would see the administration's reply in the
column, if not in a separate article.  To date, I'm still looking.

Greg Ambrose