Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 20:20:04 -0700
At 08:53 AM 1/26/99 -0500, Ed Moller wrote:

>The only guarantee in a Beanpot consolation game is a lot of apathy.
>Everyone I know hates the Beanpot consolation, and FWIW, the players
>hate it the most.

I have to disagree here. While the consolation certainly isn't as sweet as
the championship, it's far from something so many people hate. Personally,
I enjoyed all four games of the Beanpot every year I was in Boston for the
tournament.

I've seen some wonderfully exciting Beanpot consolation games, and neither
team is exactly backing off. Not to mention, the 3rd period of the
consolation game is usually played in front of a packed Garden/Fleece crowd.

Having spoken to a number of players from all the schools over the years,
the only thing they hate is winding up fourth. Especially BU players --
it's a great disappointment not to win the thing, but I've heard the same
phrase over and over from BU players:

"We will not finish fourth."

Of course, the much more common phrase that I've heard from players
regarding the Beanpot is much simpler:

"We get to play in the Garden. How great is that?

There have also been a number of players winning Beanpot awards that have
participated in the consolation game; quite often the top goalie from the
tournament comes out of the consoloation match.

Then of course, throw in the chance of a top team winding up in the
consolation match. This year we've got BU-BC in the first round. While BU
is having a down year, this is the beanpot, and BU always manages to step
up their game. Should they down the Eagles in the first game, you've got a
Top 10 team (and preseason #1) playing in the consolation match -- which
makes it a game that neither the Eagles nor their consolation opponent want
to lose. For both of them, a BIG game.

I betcha they'll care.