From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:24:17 -0500
I read in today's Washington Post that the Markham Waxers, Adam
Oates' junior team before he attended RPI, are going to retire his
number on Friday.  (It was 10, by the way.)  They planned this for
this time because the Caps will be playing in Toronto on Saturday,
only someone didn't realize that the Caps will be in LA on Friday
and won't arrive until after midnight in Toronto. :-)  However, his
parents and former linemate Steve Thomas will attend.  Too bad
they didn't retire his number before he returned from the injury
list yesterday.

Anyway, the reason that I am sending this info, which is at best
peripherally related to college hockey, is that I was wondering if
any colleges have retired numbers of former players.  I have always
regarded this as a poor idea for pro teams, and I regard it as even
worse for colleges, but I am just curious to learn if it has ever
been done.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, 74