From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:13:15 -0500
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:21:03 PST George & Terri Downing wrote:

> > Defections to the pros certainly put a dent in Minnesota's ability to be
> > competitive for the past two seasons. Boston University's slump this year is a
> > comparable situation.
> >
> I didn't really see a "defection" to the pros for BU this year.  It is my understanding
> that they lost seven players, only two of which were in the top line, and Drury graduated,
> so I wouldn't call that a defection.  I know Poti left early (I'm unsure about Silvia).  Am
> I missing some players?  This sounds pretty average to me for a team.  UNH lost
> Mowers and Nolan to graduation and Bekar left early, I wouldn't call that a "defection
> to the pros" either.  This may very well be a transition year for BU, but not because they
> lost a lot of players.

BU lost the following to graduation:
    Peter Donatelli
    Chris Drury
    Jeff Kealty
    Chris Kelleher
    Tom Noble
    Mike Sylvia

The only player they lost early to the pros was Tom Poti.  BU's problems lie in the fact that
the class of 1999 was decimated early on in their careers; Travis Roy's injury, Scott King's
academic performance, and Brendan Walsh's disciplinary issues.  That leaves BU with only three
seniors.  Combine that with a junior class consisting of only four players that has had its
share of losses.  In addition to Poti's defection, the class of 2000's most prized recruit, Dan
Lacouture, left after his freshman year. Tommi Degerman has missed six games with back
problems, and only recently has Chris Heron performed up to his potential.  The remainder of
the junior class, Bobby Hanson and Greg Quebec, has generated 5 goals and 10 assists combined.
Those two have not put up near the numbers anticipated when they were recruited out of prep
school.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller