From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 16:26:28 -0500
On Mon, 23 Nov 1998 12:32:20 -0700 Greenie wrote:

> One can only judge so much from the box score -- did the Terriers simply
> play "ugly" and beat up on the Eagles to win Saturday's game? Were the
> Eagles shooting blanks, or was Laroque on fire this night? Were the Terrier
> goals the result of solid shooting, hard work, or lucky counterattacking
> breakaways?

I was not at the game Friday night.  The best line I heard all weekend was when
I explained to a friend in Section 10 that I wasn't at the game because I was
at temple, he asked in all sincerity what I was doing in Philadelphia.

What I heard from some folks who were at the game Friday is that it was closer
than the score indicates.  Check out the box score:  four of the goals from one
line.  BC has a huge dropoff after Farkas/Gionta.

Saturday's game was a joy to watch.  It is refreshing to view a game through
the eyes of an underdog; BU fans are not used to that.  It is clear from
everyone at Walter Brown Arena what the expectations are for this year's team,
and the fans are willing to give this team the best they got.  The house was
rocking, and the rivalry is intact.

BU will go as far as Michel Larocque will take them.  A week ago at UNH he
stole the team a point.  On Saturday he was huge.  But Larocque has a tendency
to let the easy ones in.  The two goals he gave up at UNH and the two he gave
up on Saturday were all gifts.  If he makes the easy saves at UNH, the Terriers
have a win.  The tie at Durham was a big confidence booster, but not as big as
Saturday's victory.  It was just what the doctor ordered, and now maybe this
team can show what they are made of.

Freshmen Dan Cavanaugh and Chris Dyment both look to be a terrific players.
Pat Aufiero should be back next week, putting much relief on a depleted blue
line corps.  And the special teams played admirably on Saturday night.  The
penalty killing unit was the key to success on Saturday night, after having the
worst performance of any team in Hockey East season to date.

Tomorrow night BU plays a very disappointing Harvard team, and my sources tell
me the problem there is not Ronn Tomassoni's coaching.  The possibility of a
letdown against the Crimson exists.  This weekend's games up at the north
country won't matter in the league record either, but they will mean a lot to
this team.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller