From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:21:19 -0500
"Loggia, Andy" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Does anyone know if they have always done this? Ralph/Tony - Did RPI
> do this before the joined ECAC?

Well, since I was asked, I better say something.  The ECAC as a
hockey league was founded, to the best of my knowledge, for the
61-62 season, or at least that was the first year there were
playoffs.  A year later, I think, Div. II broke off.  Anyway, this
was before I attended RPI, so I have no idea what was done at that
time.

I also do not know when RPI started to play the Canadian National
Anthem.  I am sure that it was not always played, because the
first time that I heard it, it was in a game against a Canadian
school.  I am fairly certain that it was only played in games
against Canadian schools while I was at RPI.

One question for Canadian readers out there.  When was "O Canada"
adopted as the national anthem?  My recollection is that "God Save
the Queen" was still used when I was young.  It might be that RPI
only started playing the Canadian anthem when it changed (either
that or I didn't realize that "My Country Tis of Thee" was being
played because the same tune was the Canadian National anthem.)

To change the topic to something closer to college hockey --
while browsing the web, I noticed that former RPI forward (and
linemate of Adam Oates) John Carter is now the hockey coach at
Nichols College in the ECAC NE league.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74