From:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1992 09:22:36 PST
>From: Beth Weise <[log in to unmask]>
>Why is it that more pucks end up in the stands during warmups than
>during the game?  As a member of the Clarkson Pep Band for 4 years,
>I saw more than our fair share of pucks (and injuries).  However,
>a majority of those pucks came at us during warmups ...

>Beth Weise
>Clarkson '88
>RPI '90 & '93

You get more deflected pucks during the warmups because there are just
more shots than during the game and the shooters are most often looking
to hit the corners, sort of checking their aim and getting their goalie
stretched out.  When the shooter goes for the top corner on the blocker
side the goalie's reaction is to deflect it up and over the net.  If
the timing is just right it goes up and over the glass and someone gets
a pre-game souvenier.  I would be suprised if there was any intent of
anyone on the ice to shoot into the stands, but I suppose it is
possible.

If you want to avoid this problem, sit on the goalie's glove (catching)
side.  The only shots that go out on this side are 'clickers' off the
cross bar and pipe.  I myself like the excitement of sitting on the
blocker side, but then I skate in front of slapshots to make deflections.

BTW, do they still use Walker Arena for intermural hockey, or do they
get to use the Cheel Center?

John Hughes
Clarkson '73