From:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 05:31:46 -0400
David Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> But we shouldn't be surprised, the headline of the issue 2 weeks ago
> (maybe 3) was about former "LEDGENDS" of the game.  They can't even
> proofread the headline.

When I saw "LEDGENDS" I figured that must be a Canadian spelling and
didn't think more of it until they apologized.  I also remember that
they once (five or more years ago) had an article about the most
average player in the league or some similar nonsense.  I forget who
the person was but he wore number 6 for the Rangers.  Anyway, the
picture that they showed was not that of the correct person but of
former RPI defenseman * Ken Hammond who had worn number 6 for his
approximately three game Ranger career.

* Required College Hockey Content :-)

> Isn't it just a little curious that the "NCAA Paid Advertisement"
> failed to mention the MAAC?

Yes, that struck me as odd also.  Maybe it is because the MAAC
doesn't have a guaranteed berth in the tourney.

By the way, the paid ad was six pages long.  Besides for the four
pages on the leagues, one of the other pages was about the 1999
tourney in Anaheim and the other page discussed eight players, two
per league, who are well known in the NHL.  I didn't check, but I
think that only one of the eight, John LeClair of Vermont, played
four years of college hockey.  I don't have the THN here, so I can't
list all eight, but the other ECAC player was Joe Nieuendyk (sp?),
those from HEA were Keith Tkachuk and Paul Kariya, and the two from
the WCHA were Chris Chelios and Brett Hull.  Both of the CCHA
players escape me at the moment, but I will look them up if no one
else posts them.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74