From:
Todd Nielson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:49:39 EDT
I can't speak for anyone else, but at Clarkson, there is no music department
and no marching band.  The pep band is simply a student organization and
playing at games is purely for fun.  To be sure, the Clarkson Pep Band does
enjoy some support from the university and from the team, but as I recall (I
haven't been an official member of the band since the 1986), most of the
funding is provided by student activity fees, helped along by whatever
fundraising can be done.  Of late, some alumni donations have helped out, but
I think the basis of the bands funding is still from activities fees.

I can't help feeling a little disappointed that the UNO band feels like they
have to have financial backing to play at games.  Maybe I'm just a little
myopic for being from a small school, but I always thought you joined the band
because you *wanted* to play and *wanted* to be there.  Not wanting to speak
for anyone else, most of the other bands I've seen, Cornell in particular,
play for the same reason.

Just my $.02

-Todd