From:
Joel Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joel Mack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:23:50 -0500
On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Ben Flickinger wrote:

> Side Note: So far I'd say UNO has worsened the extras at the arena this year
> compared to last year...the Cheerleaders still do absolutly nothing, there's
> no live band this year cause of a money squabble between the Athletic and
> band depts.(and the taped version of the fight song absolutly sucks over the
> loud speaker - full marching bands and hockey don't mix), there're no
> souvenier pops (they're giving the souveneir cups with beer only this year),
> and until I goto another game to make sure, I don't think they've done
> anything new to the arena this year either(though it is the city's arena,
> UNO could prolly push something thru if they wanted to).
>
> Does any other UNO fan out there(Joel) agrees with me on this? And who do we
> mention our complaints to? the AD or the SID or who?

To be honest, I don't miss the band.  Well, let me rephrase: I don't miss
THAT band.  While they were technically proficient, their repetoire was
woefully lacking.  I think I heard the theme from "Sanford and Son" more
times in 18 home games season than I would watching 6 months worth of
reruns on TV.

What I heard was that "Power Play" wanted $17,500 for the season, plus
team sweaters for the whole group (about 10 people at $90 per).  How does
the hockey band work at other schools?  Based on experience from Phrozen
Phours and occasional away games at Minnesota and DU, I was under the
impression that the hockey band was a subset of the school's marching
band, and if you were a band person it was something you just did.  Am I
off-base, here?

Joel

Joel Mack ([log in to unmask])                         Omaha, NE
Home Page: http://www.tconl.com/~jmack
The UNOfficial UNO Maverick Hockey Home Page:
   http://www.mavhockey.com