From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 14:41:29 -0400
Randy May <[log in to unmask]> writes:

> The referees did it the right way. You see, the game is both an NCAA
> sanctioned regular season game that happens to be part of a tournament.
> Therefore, the game must be played as a regular season game up until the end
> of the regualtion 5 minute overtime. After that, the tourney is free to have
> the rest of the game, if any, played out however they choose, including an
> (ugh) shootout. The rules that you referred to as elimination tournament
>rules
> are mostly only for post-season play.

Actually, Erik had it right.  The key here is that it was a game in which a
winner needed to be decided for advancement in a bracket or tournament.  So
there should have been 20 min OTs played.  The rules allow for this in
regular season games in which a winner must be decided, again for
advancement purposes.  There is no real difference between this and for
example an NCAA or conference tournament game (other than a consolation).

If the third place game tonight between OSU and Minnesota is tied after a
5:00 OT, then the game ends there as a tie.  There is no advancement needed.

There is no provision in the rule book that would provide for a 5:00 OT
followed by further OTs.

Based on some other things I have heard, there was also some confusion as
to how the result of the game would be treated, either in the teams'
records or for NCAA tournament selection.  Just to head this off...the game
is not to be treated as a tie, nor as a win for one team and tie for the
other, etc.  The result of the game (win for BC, loss for OSU) is what goes
on the record in all situations (record, statistics, tourney selection,
etc.).

If for some reason the third place game were to go beyond the proscribed
5:00 OT, then we could have more confusion.  It should go in the books as a
tie at that point and then if a winner is decided by some method (more OT
time, shootout, etc.), then that would *only* serve to determine third
place for that tournament.  Again, the rules do indicate that in
consolation games, only one 5:00 OT shall be played and at the conclusion
of that OT, the result is what goes in the books.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****          Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey WCCM 800 AM          *****