From:
Jason E Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Jul 1998 19:59:10 -0700
---Chris Heisenberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Other famous "recruited" walk-ons are Craig Ludwig, North Dakota (and a 17
> year NHL veteran), and Andy Brickley, UNH,who was non-scholarship out of
> Melrose HS, but was then drafted by the NHL after his Freshman year,  turned
> into an all-american in his Junior year, and a long time NHL/AHL player.   I
> believe one of the U.North Dakota players in 1983 (perhaps Dave Tippett),
was
> also a walk-on.  A recent "unknown" walk-on who comes to mind (although I'm
> sure there are others) is Michigan's Krikor Arman, who played in 6 games and
> scored 2 goals.

Mike Grier of B.U. and Edmonton Oilers fame
(http://www.edmontonoilers.com/team/players/grierm.html) was often referred
to as a walk-on although I seemed to recall that he was of the recruited
variety.

My fact checking turns up that the Holliston, MA native came to B.U. from
St. Sebastian's as a recruited walk-on.

His first semester on full scholarship was the spring of his sophomore year
(1994-95), the same year he was named a Hobey Baker finalist and a
first-team All-American.

Bob Monahan of the Globe quoted head coach Jack Parker in January 1994 after
second-ranked B.U. defeated No. 6 New Hampshire as saying about the freshman
Grier: "I never thought he'd get too much ice time and now he's on the first
line."

And Grier would go on to surprise when making his trek to Edmonton.  Prior
to his first NHL training camp, most thought he would end up starting his
career in the minors.  However, he attracted enough attention in that camp
to make the team.
       |__   __| |  __  |  Jason Patton        http://www.gojp.com/jp/
 ____     | |    | |__| |      Following College Hockey Since 1991
        __| |    | |       Boston U. 1991-1995     Princeton U. 1995-
       |____|    |_|       1995 NCAA Champions     1998 ECAC Champions