From:
Dan Parkhurst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dan Parkhurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:43:27 -0500
Just to clarify what we spoke about during the Hockey East AudioNet
broadcast.  It was stated that "some were questioning whether UNH deserved
to be in the tournament based upon their recent performance."  This was
taken from message boards such as this one.  Never once did I say that UNH
did not deserve to be in the tourney.

It was also said that if Maine were to win that it might very well have
pushed UNH out of the tournament.  It might very well have.  Who can really
say for sure that the committee might look beyond the comparisons to place
three teams from each conference into the tournament?  We also pointed out
that there were many comparisons to be considered and that one of them was
performance over the last 20 games.  Specifically, the reason we brought up
this comparison was to point out that with a win BC would have deserved a
bye over Clarkson because that comparison would have given the Eagles the
overall comparison between those two clubs.   We never said that this
comparison was given special consideration, simply that it was one of the
comparisons considered.  The whole point of this part of the broadcast was
to let people know that comparisons went far beyond PWR.

Before you criticize Jim get your facts straight.  I had no access to a
computer on Friday or Saturday to re-check PWR, et al.  And you can't
possibly think that the league had anything prepared for that in our press
notes.