From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 08:06:47 EST
Sid Whitaker wrote:

>Without a second of hesitation for me, it is the 1985 NCAA semifinals at
>the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. Final score: RPI 6, Minnesota-Duluth 5,
>(3OT). I was 13 at the time, but I will never forget John Carter's
>slapshot from the top of the right-hand faceoff circle that deflected
>off a UMD stick and into the net in the 3rd OT.

This may be a stupid question, but which is the right-hand faceoff circle?
Carter's shot, unless my mind is playing tricks on me, was from the circle
to the right from the goaltender's viewpoint.  From Carter's viewpoint, he
was to the left of the goaltender.

David Morgenstern wrote:

>My memory may be going, but didn't Joe Juneau earn his BS in 3
>years and then a Masters in his fourth?  An accomplishment like that should
>get a bonus scholarship.  Toss in that he didn't speak English when he
>started at RPI and maybe they should have gotten 2 extras :)

Juneau did earn his BS in three years.  However, I am not certain
that he completed his Master's degree in his fourth year.  Each time
that it is mentioned in the RPI alumni publication, it states something
like, he worked on his Master's in his fourth year.  In any case, his
certainly was a noteworthy achievement.  One can tell, each time that he
is interviewed on Capitals' broadcasts, that English is not his native
language.

A curious point is that Juneau earned his Bachelor's degree before Adam
Oates did despite the fact that that he entered RPI two years after Oates
left.  This is not at all meant as a putdown to Oates who returned to RPI
each summer and completed his BS in 1991.

Daren Puppa, who left RPI after his sophomore year, eventually received
a Bachelor's degree at Denver as has been mentioned here in the past.
I don't know whether Kraig Nienhuis or George Servinis who also left RPI
early after the 1985 championship season ever completed their degree
requirements.

Tony Buffa wrote:

>I have to second this.  I saw it on tape shipped from my Dad in NJ about a
>week after the game.  I did somehow know that RPI won the whole ball of
>wax, no thanks to the LA times, but without Hockey-L, I was truly in a
>hockey wasteland.  I still play the tape occasionally and marvel at the
>folks in that game, and the seesaw end to end action: Hull, Oates, Puppa,
>Hammond, Carter, wow!!  It was exhausting. The next day, 2-1 over
>Providence (and some goalie named Terreri :-)  was a great game also, but
>nothing compared to the gut wrenching triple OT victory for RPI!

The RPI-Duluth game was shown on tape delay the next day by ESPN.  I knew the
result (that RPI had won) because I managed to pick up WGY from Schenectady
and they gave the score (they don't seem to do this any more) and also my
brother called me from New York.  However, I still was on the edge of my seat
while watching the game, not knowing any of the details, except that Carter
was going to score the winning goal.  Someday, I am going to have to convert
the tape that I made of this game from Betamax to VHS.

Not having the benefit of Hockey-L at the time, and not knowing the exploits
of Chris Terreri in leading the Friars to the HEA championship and then to
victories over Michigan State and BC (I think that those were the schools), I
didn't think that Providence had much of a a chance against RPI.  Knowing how
a hot goalie can lead just about any team (see Czech Republic) to any
championship, I should have been more nervous than I was for this game.
Providence did have some pretty good defensemen also.

>Tony Buffa
>RPI '64

>PS: I was NOT 13 at the time :-)

Me neither :-)