Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:15:28 -0600
Nathan Eric Hampton wrote:

> I'm not so sure the NCAA bans beer. I think it is up to the arena and
> the contract negotiations they have with the NCAA. I know for darn sure
> there was no beer in Cincinatti as we all had to sit there for hours
> waiting for the ice to harden. That is the only time I was glad they
> didn't sell beer, because I would have been so drunk before the game
> started!!!
> Providence didn't sell, but I'm sure they did in Milwaukee ('93 and '97)
> and in St. Paul. Albany, I'm not sure of.
> Okay, Hockey-Lers -- which finals do you remember being able to sip your
> favorite beverage and enjoy the greatest game on earth?

I believe the rules are that alcohol can not be served at an NCAA sponsored
event (i.e. the regionals and the Final Four) or at a venue owned by an NCAA
member.  Since most of the arenas are owned by the university that plays there,
alcohol is banned.  This is not true of non-NCAA tournament games played at such
venues as the Fleet Center or the Bradley Center.  There are a few institutions
that play at an arena owned by some other entity.  Around here, the biggest
example is Wisconsin, which plays at the Dane County Coliseum (I'm not sure
about the Kohl Center's ownership).  This explains both why they can have a
beer-garden in the basement and why the building looks like it should be hosting
livestock judging rather than hockey.

J. Michael Neal