From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 09:11:33 EST
This was my first my glance at the new improved MAAC bound Braves. They were
very talented on offense and had many highly skilled offensive players. The
roster is an all American one with players from North Carolina; Washington;
California and the usual places for US hockey players. The roster includes
many USHL alums with a scatterring of prep school players. Army was by far
their toughest opponent and the Cadets were just too big and too physical for
the Braves.

After the game a Quinnipiac player confirmed that UNO's Tortoriello was
transferring to Quinnipiac and that the Braves were recruiting like crazy in
anticipation of D1 hockey. I have a feeling that the MAAC may not work because
Quinnipiac will be far and away the best program in that league and I do not
know if Holy Cross; UConn; Farifield et al are going to finance and support
their programs like Quinnipiac. The "non-rigorous" admission standards should
also aaid the Hamden, Ct. school.  Question to Doug Woog:   as a Quinnipiac
player asked me- how did the Gophers miss out on Army's Andy Lundbohm
(Roseau,Mn) and Greg Buckmeier (Fergus Falls)- same way Michigan missed out on
Daryl Chamberlain (Livonia)?