From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:53:07 -0500
At 07:27 AM 2/7/98 -0700, Tony Buffa wrote:
>Hi All:
>
>Late last nite (11 PM PST) I saw the tail end of a summary of college
>hockey reslts on ESPN Sportcenter.  There was very good tape footage of
>the BC-Prov game and also Notre Dame. Is this typical??  Hve they been
>doing it for a long time, or is it a new feature, or was it a one shot
>deal? Anyone know. Would be nice if it were a reg scheduled event so
>people could know when to tune in.

This really isn't typical of ESPN. Usually, they won't get to report much
college hockey - especially considering that they usually have a lot of
NBA, NHL, & college hoops to get to first. Having said that, ESPN does
provide decent coverage (read:score reports & occasional highlight) of
the Beanpot.

And, since about 95% of major Division I games take place on the weekend,
you won't see too much college hockey on ESPN - unless you can make it
through the entire 11pm SportsCenter....

Friday night was a very light sports night, as well (only 2 NHL games and
the NBA is on their all-star break). That made it a good opportunity to
see some college hockey scores/highlights.

I think also that Fox has picked up some college hockey, we may be
seeing some more highlights in the near future - not that I'm holding
out for the major boost of college hockey exposure anytime soon.

Andy Weise
SUNY Potsdam  '93
Union College  '95