Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 02:57:39 -0600
Edward N. Moller wrote:

> Let's not forget the 1978 championship game, which featured BU versus BC.
> They're located on the same street.  Nobody can match that.  BTW, the Terriers
> won that game 5-3.

Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota are all on the same street, too; we just call it
I-94.

It's a cheap line, but I use it for a reason.  We have once again been hearing
about how the Boston atmosphere produces rivalries that can't be matched; that just
isn't true.  I have been around both the eastern and western rivalries (though the
scrupulous might say that I was really too young to appreciate the former) and
BU-BC, BU-Harvard and the rest are no more intense than Michigan-Michigan State or
Minnesota-Wisconsin, for instance.  I can go into a lot of reasons why this is
true, but we've done most of them before.  Suffice it to say that the standard
Boston conceit that everything takes on more importance if it happens there just
isn't always true.

J. Michael Neal